Friday, October 5, 2007

Lets all make sweet, passionate love to freedom.

I was up late last night watching video of Ron Paul on YouTube and I must say that I think I've found who should be the next President of the United States. You notice I say "should be" because the US electorate is too stupid and easily distracted like Homer Simpson to pay attention long enough to what he is saying to recognize the merit. Unfortunately for Ron Paul's chances of winning the Republican nomination, he does not scream "America is Great!" and "I love the United States" and "We did not cause September 11, 2001; we were attacked because we love freedom!"

Speaking of us not causing September 11th, I was struck by Rudy Giuliani's response to Ron Paul in the FoxNews Republican Nominee debate at the University of South Carolina. For those who have not read or heard it:

"MR. GOLER: Congressman, you don't think that changed with the 9/11 attacks, sir?

REP. PAUL: What changed?

MR. GOLER: The non-interventionist policies.

REP. PAUL: No. Non-intervention was a major contributing factor. Have you ever read the reasons they attacked us? They attack us because we've been over there; we've been bombing Iraq for 10 years. We've been in the Middle East -- I think Reagan was right.
We don't understand the irrationality of Middle Eastern politics. So right now we're building an embassy in Iraq that's bigger than the Vatican. We're building 14 permanent bases. What would we say here if China was doing this in our country or in the Gulf of Mexico? We would be objecting. We need to look at what we do from the perspective of what would happen if somebody else did it to us. (Applause.)

MR. GOLER: Are you suggesting we invited the 9/11 attack, sir?

REP. PAUL: I'm suggesting that we listen to the people who attacked us and the reason they did it, and they are delighted that we're over there because Osama bin Laden has said, "I am glad you're over on our sand because we can target you so much easier." They have already now since that time -- (bell rings) -- have killed 3,400 of our men, and I don't think it was necessary.

MR. GIULIANI: Wendell, may I comment on that? That's really an extraordinary statement. That's an extraordinary statement, as someone who lived through the attack of September 11, that we invited the attack because we were attacking Iraq. I don't think I've heard that before, and I've heard some pretty absurd explanations for September 11th. (Applause, cheers.)
And I would ask the congressman to withdraw that comment and tell us that he didn't really mean that. (Applause.)

MR. GOLER: Congressman?

REP. PAUL: I believe very sincerely that the CIA is correct when they teach and talk about blowback. When we went into Iran in 1953 and installed the shah, yes, there was blowback. A reaction to that was the taking of our hostages and that persists. And if we ignore that, we ignore that at our own risk. If we think that we can do what we want around the world and not incite hatred, then we have a problem.
They don't come here to attack us because we're rich and we're free. They come and they attack us because we're over there. I mean, what would we think if we were -- if other foreign countries were doing that to us?
"
(Council on Foreign Relations: www.cfr.org)

First, every American who was not killed in the attacks on 9/11 "lived through them." Giuliani is not special in that sense. He happened to be Mayor of New York. Congratulations. This makes you no different from every other candidate on stage who wasn't killed.

Second, this is a debate. Who has ever heard of someone engaged in a debate ordering another participant to "withdraw his comment" and "tell us that he didnt really mean it." Last time I checked the debate was not held in a middle school girls bathroom. He said it. He meant it. Now respond to the argument with your own argument based on some sort of logical reasoning. It is not an argument to express astonishment and demand the other side retract their argument.

Third, why is it so deplorable to say that the US may have done something to incite 9/11? Especially considering, as Ron Paul points out, that Osama Bin Laden has told us that he was incited to attack the US because of our policies and not because we are fat, freedom lovers.

Its painful to listen to this garbage.

3 comments:

John said...

Ron Paul has been my candidate for a long time. I have not tried to push him or his agenda on this blog, only because I didn't want to seem like a Paulaholic, like they/we are affectionately called. I am glad however that others are beginning to see the light. It is unfortunate that the most electable and intelligent candidate is also the least covered in the main stream media.

Michael said...

I don't want the blog to be a Ron Paul love fest either. I just feel like its important to expose him to the 2 people who read this blog.

I think the problem is that he isnt electable (i understand what you are trying to say though).

what do you think about his position of eliminating the Federal Reserve?

Anonymous said...

My money is on Ron Paul

He will win the race!!